Monday, January 14, 2013

Pre-Departure: the Waiting Game


Today marks the first day of spring semester classes at SMC. Instead of running around my room full of nervous energy getting ready for my first class, I'm sitting at my dinning room table in my pajamas writing this blog post. When I first found out that my study abroad program wasn't beginning until February 1st, I was excited that I would have a long break to prepare for my semester in South Africa and that I would have the opportunity to visit my friends and professors at school before jet-setting across the globe. What I did not anticipate however, was how lonely and bored I would be at home once my sister and friends returned to school. It's only been two days since we dropped Erin off for her first semester at Saint Mike's (she transferred from UVM) and I'm already going stir-crazy since I don't have anyone to entertain me during the day while my parents are at work and Allison is at school. I also really miss my friends from school since I haven't seen them in four+ weeks. As excited as I am for my semester abroad, it's tough knowing that I won't be seeing or even talking to them every day like I usually do at school due to the time difference (7 hours!) once I arrive in South Africa. 

Instead of dwelling on these feelings however, I'm trying to stay positive and excited about my upcoming trip and focus on getting ready since I haven't done much of anything over break to prepare for my semester except submit my visa to the consulate and get all my required vaccines. My visa hasn't come in yet which is causing a bit of stress, but I still have 15 days until I board my flight for London so I'm trying not to worry too much. I have a list that is about a mile-long of people and offices I need to contact, errands I need to run, things I need to buy and pack. I also have pre-semester assignments that I need to do before orientation. I probably should have looked at the assignments earlier then today since it appears that I have to buy and read two books, but I know the work will get done even if I have to finish one of the books on the plane.


Time to get started on that list... until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment