Saturday, April 20, 2013

ISP Weeks 1 and 2

Since my last post I've moved into my flat at "The Decks" in the city center with four other girls from my program, Lara, Carrie, Allie, and Liyah, and begun my independent study project period. Living in on Long Street has been great! We're a short walk away from grocery and clothing stores, the gym, and the train and bus station. We're also on the same street where all the nightlife is so when we go out for drinks and dancing we don't have to worry about calling a cab home. 
We've been in the flat for almost two weeks now and it's been quite the experience. I haven't had to share a room with anyone the last three semesters as I've had a single, so sharing a bedroom with two other girls that isn't completely closed off from the living room has been interesting. I've also been in charge of cooking for myself for the first time! Lara and I decided to try to save money so we've been splitting groceries and cooking together, which has been challenging but fun. We're definitely not master chefs yet, but we do make some pretty good guacamole, veggie stir-fry, personal pizzas! 
Between handing in our final assignments and working on our ISP's, my friends and I have tried to make time to have fun too. Last Saturday Carrie, Allie, Lara, and I spent the day at the beach with our friends Becky, Ashley, Carol, and Kelin. It was one of the last warm weekends of the season, so we tried to soak up as much sun as we can! As I was told by Lara's 10 year old sister from her homestay in Bo Kaap who was also at the beach, "Megan your stomach is white, white, white!" Clearly I need all the sun I can get!
Lara, Becky, and I at the beach
 The following day Lara and I decided to be tourists for the day and buy day passes for the double-decker city sight-seeing bus. The bus drives around Cape Town and has about twenty different pick-up and drop-off spots where you can get off to see the sights. Lara and I decided to stay on the bus as we had been to many of the spots already thanks to SIT, and had tons of fun riding around and seeing our city from the eyes of tourists for the day.
Lara and I on the sightseeing bus!
On Wednesday night after turning in my book review I joined my flat mate Allie and nine other girls from my program to see a show at the Baxter Theater Centre in Rondebosch. Allie is doing her ISP at the theater and has been able to get free tickets through her contacts. The show we saw that night was a one-woman show called "the List". Here's the description given on the theater's website: "Winner of the Fringe First for script (Edinburgh Festival) and the Canadian Governor General's award for a French-language play, The List is a compelling and masterfully crafted tour-de-force which tells the story of an urban woman adjusting to rural life. Increasingly isolated, she keeps her life in order by obsessively making 'to do' lists. When a friend requests a favour from her, she adds it to her list. The difference between remembering to do it and neglecting to take it seriously is at the heart of this moving story." The play was incredible! I was very impressed by the actress and enjoyed the story line, though it was very sad. Thanks again to Allie for getting us tickets!
"The List" - a one-woman show!
That's a quick update of what I've been up to recently! I hope everyone at home is doing okay in the wake of the recent tragedies in the US. You're all in my thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment